It’s a common question. When we get it, our eyes light up and we can’t help but explore: What’s special about being able to listen to and read the Bible at the same time?
As you probably know, the new, completely free Bible app from Bible.is enables anyone who has an iPhone, an Android, or is on Facebook to listen to and read the Bible. This Bible app offers high quality audio in a growing number of languages and Bible versions.
With our busy lives, we often multi-task. It’s difficult to focus on reading or listening. If you have ever read anything and have had issues with your mind wandering, or tried listened to an audio book and been distracted,
you can imagine how having both your eyes and ears engaged significantly improves your ability comprehend.
Organizations that specialize in studying this effect call it supported listening.
Benefits of reading while listening:
- Improve listening skills
- Increase vocabulary
- Improve word recognition skills
- Improve comprehension skills
- Teach the proper pronunciation of words
- Develop a sense of narrative structure
Learn to “see” a story by visualizing the narrative rather than relying on illustrations
- Deepen their understanding of the diverse ways in which language conveys meaning
- Experience a variety of genres and build an understanding of their specific elements
- Develop personal reading preferences through exposure to different genres
For people who have challenges when it comes to reading, supported reading can be a very useful tool for learning. Even though you may not have any reading challenges or disabilities like those listed below, you can see how reading while listening to an Audio Bible would help the average or above average reader comprehend and retain more of what is being read.
Reading & listening to the Bible on the Bible.is Bible App Can Help Adults and Children:
- Who have learning disabilities related to reading
- Who are blind or visually impaired
- Who are speech and language delayed
- Who have physical disabilities or medical conditions that prevent them from manipulating text, such as cerebral palsy
- Who are auditory learners
- Gain independence because they can listen to a text straight through, from beginning to end without the help of parent, teacher or other reader
If you have never listened to the Bible while reading it, then you owe it to yourself to have this experience. It is now easier than ever to do so with the free Bible app for iPhone, bible app for Android, bible app for Facebook, and tools to come.